Information about Pregnancy
If you are planning a pregnancy remember that the first thing to do is to meet your Gynaecologist and tell them about your plans and ask for advice regarding the following :
- Fertility period
- Preconception Folic acid 5mg tablets once daily.
- Confirm whether you have received the Measles vaccine (MMR) in the past, if not take it now.
- Preconception risk evaluation after taking a detailed history regarding family history of hereditary diseases or mental retardation in any family member.
- Age related risk evaluation of Down's syndrome.
- Screening for infections like HIV, HbSAg etc., for both husband and wife.
- Screening for hereditary diseases like Thalassemia or Haemophilia.
- Other basic tests to treat simple problems like anaemia or genital infections.
Thus with a few of these points in mind, a couple now finds it easier to plan a pregnancy with lesser risk factors or at least risk factors that can be taken care of prior to pregnancy.